Industry Insight – Outlining the Tech Purchase Process by Vertical Sector
As organizations continue to expand their technology toolbox, it’s important for tech marketers to understand how IT decision-makers (ITDMs) are learning about solutions and arriving at final decisions. As 50% of current tech leaders say they value content tailored specifically by their industry, tech marketers must also be aware of the process behind tech purchase for today’s core industries. For example, are different individuals involved in purchase decisions within education organizations versus manufacturing? Are healthcare ITDMs more likely to attend industry/job related events compared to government IT leaders? IDG’s buyer’s journey white papers are tailored by industry, providing you with the information you need to know to target these ITDMs. Before diving into a specific vertical, check out some key points below.
- Education ITDMs value quality customer service and response time from vendors.
- 68% of education tech leaders are involved in setting IT policies and standards.
- Finance ITDMs rely on product demos, testing/reviews and research when selecting vendors.
- 81% of finance ITDMs have registered for tech related content over the past 6 months.
- 94% of government ITDMs have attended an industry/job related event in the past 12 months.
- Government tech leaders spend an average of 3.3 hours/week meeting with current vendors.
- 86% of healthcare tech leaders collaborate with departments outside of IT on projects compared with 66% of overall ITDMs.
- Healthcare ITDMs download an average of 8 pieces of content during the tech purchase process.
- High-tech ITDMs collaborate with 6.1 functions/titles throughout the tech purchase process.
- These ITDMs are the most likely to say they are open to being among the first clients of a new/emerging vendor (27%).
- Manufacturing IT decision-makers are the most likely to say they are challenged locating the information they need to make informed buying decisions (44%).
- 89% of manufacturing ITDMs are likely to consider an IT vendor who educates them throughout each stage of the IT purchase process.
Want to get an overall view of the engagement throughout the tech purchase process? Explore the 2017 IDG Customer Engagement Research and 2017 Role & Influence of the Technology Decision-Maker Research.