IDC Releases Report Series Ranking U.S. Customer Views of Top Vendors’ Application Services in the Areas of Modernization, Outsourcing, and Testing
FRAMINGHAM, Mass. – April 27, 2009 – Three new demand-side reports from IDC provide visibility into U.S. enterprise perceptions of application services providers in the areas of modernization, outsourcing (AO), and testing. Results indicate that brand perception plays a major role in influencing end user views of the providers' service capabilities. These studies show that IBM, Microsoft, Oracle, HP-EDS, Accenture, and SAP are all industry leaders from a U.S. enterprise perspective.
"During this recessionary period, as customers are driving toward greater cost savings and operational efficiencies, service providers need to highlight both the tactical and strategic value proposition of their services. Companies are looking for providers who offer a strong, well developed set of capabilities, from industry and technology expertise, to collaborative communication skills, to tools and knowledge to optimize modernization and testing processes and manage portfolio change," stated Rona Shuchat, director, Application Outsourcing Services.
Key findings from these studies include:
* IBM was recognized as the overall leader in application outsourcing, followed by Microsoft, Oracle, HP-EDS and Accenture.
* In application testing services, IBM was viewed as the overall leader, followed by Microsoft, Oracle, HP-EDS and SAP.
* In application modernization services, IBM ranked first overall, followed by Microsoft, Oracle, HP-EDS and Accenture.
* Honorable mentions among the top 10 vendors in select industry categories in these application service areas included CSC, Infosys, Capgemini-Sogeti, AT&T, Deloitte, CIBER, Cognizant, Siemens, CGI, Fujitsu, ACS, Tata Consultancy Services, Wipro, HCL Technologies, Perot Systems, Atos Origin, CPM Braxis, CACI, Unisys, Verizon, Softtek and Politec.
The three IDC studies included in this series are:
* Brand Impact: U.S. Companies Rank IBM, Microsoft, Oracle, HP-EDS and Accenture as Top 5 Vendors for Application Modernization (IDC #217877)
* Brand Recognition: U.S. Companies Rank IBM, Microsoft, Oracle, HP-EDS and Accenture as Top 5 Vendors for Application Outsourcing (IDC #217876)
* Brand Awareness: U.S. Companies Rank IBM, Microsoft, Oracle, HP-EDS and SAP as Top 5 Vendors for Application Testing Services (IDC #217880)
The above studies are based on a demand-side survey involving more than 400 U.S. respondents where IDC asked end users (both buyers and non-buyers) about their adoption plans and preferences for a range of discrete and bundled third-party application services, and their perceptions of vendors to effectively deliver on such services. In these reports, vendors are given not only a framework of those players that appear to have competitive advantage as related to customer perception in these areas but also key characteristics of providers that enable such advantage.
IDC is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. IDC helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community make fact-based decisions on technology purchases and business strategy. More than 1,000 IDC analysts provide global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 100 countries. For more than 45 years, IDC has provided strategic insights to help our clients achieve their key business objectives. IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company. You can learn more about IDC by visiting www.idc.com.