New IDC Report Discusses Formula for Determining Social Business ROI

FRAMINGHAM, MA – November 22, 2010 – One of the top challenges associated with implementing enterprise social software is measuring the impact on business goals. A new International Data Corporation (IDC) study, Determining the Value of Social Business ROI: Myths, Facts, and Potentially High Returns (Doc #225497), explores the criteria for validating enterprise social software purchases and social business transformation through return-on-investment (ROI) measurement by debunking social business ROI myths and defining social business ROI gains and costs.

IDC's Social Business Survey reveals that enterprise social software adoption still has room to grow, with 41% of respondents indicating that they have already implemented an enterprise social software solution — leaving 59% who have yet to implement a solution. With this much adoption anticipated, IDC forecasts the emerging social platforms market will generate revenues of nearly $2 billion by 2014, experiencing a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 38.2% over the 2009-2014 forecast period.

"Widespread industry adoption of enterprise social software is relatively immature and executives want a clearer understanding of the potential gains, costs, and return on investment that social business initiatives can have on a company's bottom line," said Erin Traudt, research director, Enterprise Collaboration and Social Solutions at IDC. "To determine social business ROI, organizations must consider why their customers and/or employees are using social software and understand the cost/benefit impact related to people, process, and technology."

When conducting ROI on social business initiatives, the rules of business still apply, regardless if a company deploys social business initiatives to assist customer service, marketing, public relations, product innovation, employee collaboration, or other functional areas of the organization. IDC believes business executives need to understand not only the traditional metrics and value calculations of ROI, but also the impact that social business initiatives have on these computations and their interrelatedness.

"ROI is another industry buzzword that many are quick to demand but have difficulty calculating and tracking," continued Ms. Traudt. "Social business ROI is particularly elusive, but for broader adoption to occur, executives will need to conduct ROI analysis to justify expenditures in this category."

To learn more about the latest developments, best practices, and emerging trends in social business, join the conversations on the IDC Social Business Strategies blog, where business and IT professionals discuss the latest news and perspectives on the business transformation being driven by the social Web. As enterprises are driven to make fundamental changes in the way they interact with customers, employees, suppliers and partners, businesses will need to understand and adopt radically different cultures, processes and technologies to facilitate this transition.

The Social Business Strategies blog is part of the IDC Insights Community, a leading global, interactive, online community for business and IT professionals to network, share and engage around technology issues within the context of their business. Visit the IDC Insights Community at [].

About IDC

International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. IDC helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based decisions on technology purchases and business strategy. More than 1,000 IDC analysts provide global, regional and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. For more than 46 years, IDC has provided strategic insights to help our clients achieve their key business objectives. IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company. You can learn more about IDC by visiting [].

All product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.



Recent News

If you would like to interview an IDG employee or quote an article in your news coverage please fill out the form below: