2019 Customer Engagement Study
In the 7th year of the study, the 2019 IDG Customer Engagement survey provides in-depth information on the various types and volume of content consumed throughout the technology purchase process. The research looks at how challenging it is for IT decision-makers (ITDMs) to find high quality information, the types of content they’re willing to register for, as well as their expectations when it comes to follow-up from a technology vendor. This year’s study found that 79% of ITDMs are willing to register for content if they know they will receive value in return; however only 38% of downloaded work-related content has provided value in the past 12 months. View the excerpt below to better understand how to provide the necessary resources throughout the entire tech purchase process.
- The majority (86%) of ITDMs say it is challenging to find high quality content, which increased from 79% in 2017.
- Understand when and how ITDMs want to be contacted – 63% say that aggressive/persistent sales follow-up may cause them to abandon a vendor when conducting research.
- 94% of ITDMs have responded to outreach from a potential vendor – the main factors are because the vendor demonstrated honesty/transparency, showed respect for their time, shared valuable content or information with them.
- The most relied upon content types throughout the technology purchase process are product testing/reviews/opinions, product demo/product literatures, and technology news.
- 94% of ITDMs have watched a tech-related video for business purposes – their preferred format are how-to videos (51%), in-depth product reviews (49%) and webcasts/web shows (36%).
Want more information? Register for the 2019 Customer Engagement white paper
To request a meeting with an IDG sales executive to walk through the full study, please complete the form at the right.