2019 State of the CIO
CIO’s 18th annual State of the CIO survey was conducted with the objective of understanding how the role of the CIO continues to evolve in today’s business climate and to help define the CIO agenda for 2019. The data this year found that the CIO is continuing on 2018’s momentum and adding with new responsibilities tied around digital transformation (DX) – whether it be leading DX initiatives or overseeing tasks that previously were not in their wheel house, such as data and analytics.
Key findings include:
- Eighty-eight percent of CIOs say that they are more involved in leading digital transformation initiatives compared to their business counterparts. As DX continues to mature, CIOs
are shouldering more responsibility in areas where they previously didn’t have a
- CIOs are focusing more and more on business strategist tasks, helping to identify new revenue opportunities and operational innovations.
- Close to two-thirds of CIOs say that the creation of new revenue-generating initiatives is among their job responsibilities.
- Seventy-eight percent of CIOs say that they are communicating with the Board of Directors more than ever before, which is up from 67% in 2018.
- To support the creation of new revenue-generation projects, CIOs are learning about customer needs, creating teams focused on innovation and creating business case scenarios with defined costs and benefits.
For more information, please view the except from the study below. To request a meeting with an IDG sales executive to walk through the full study, please complete the form at the top right.