2020 Role & Influence of the Technology Decision-Maker Study
While technology innovation has constantly been imperative to the growth of organizations and society overall, there is an entirely new importance on technology in 2020. It is the fuel that is keeping businesses, schools, and individuals connected and able to move forward. IDG’s 2020 Role & Influence of the Technology Decision-Maker Research provides in-depth insight into the influence that IT decision-makers (ITDMs) play in this changing landscape, as well as how the IT purchase process has changed due to the pandemic. The study looks at the types of tech purchases organizations plan to make, who is involved in each stage of the process, and the information sources relied upon in order to make the final purchase decision. View some of the key findings and sample slides below:
- The IT purchase process has experienced some disruptions due to the pandemic, such as more centralized purchase decisions and an extended process, and most of these changes will continue through 2021.
- Additional tech is needed – the majority of tech purchases made in the next 6-12 months will be additions, with a handful being made specifically due to recent events.
- IT continues to lead the purchase process as they are the primary budget holder for all tech purchases and in the top three leadership spots for every stage of the process.
- Continuing to seek new vendors – despite having to make quick purchase decisions, ITDMs are still likely to seek new vendors. Be aware of the factors that cause them to look elsewhere – business need, customer service, and cost.
- Virtual sources become more relied upon – tech content sites continue to be the number one source relied upon to stay up-to-date on new technologies & enhance knowledge, however webcasts/webinars are now the 3rd relied upon source, up from 6th in 2019.
To request a meeting with an IDG sales executive to walk through the full study and better understand how to shape your marketing strategy, please complete the form at the right.