2020 State of the CIO
CIO’s 2020 State of the CIO research helps define the CIO agenda for the upcoming year and outlines the responsibilities and challenges facing senior tech leaders. This year, the results highlight the growing recognition of the value that CIO’s bring to business strategy as well as their increasing customer-centric focus. Two-thirds (67%) of CIOs say the creation of new revenue-generating initiatives is among their job responsibilities, and one of their key initiatives in place to become more revenue-driven is direct customer interaction (42%).
- CIOs continue to move toward a strategic role – 40% of CIOs fall into a strategic role which is right behind the previous front runner, transformational (42%).
- 95% of CIOs say that their role is expanding to include new responsibilities – the main areas are cybersecurity (64%), data privacy/compliance (49%) and customer experience (46%).
- Line of business recognizes that senior IT leaders are no longer only essential for optimizing IT infrastructure, but also for driving revenue and innovation – 56% of LOB agree that CIOs are more involved in leading digital transformation initiatives compared to their business counterparts and this is up from 47% in 2019.
- IT and LOB are aligned on the top two business initiatives that will drive the most IT investment in 2020 – increase operational efficiency and improve customer experience.
- When evaluating tools and solutions during the tech purchase process, CIOs rely on strategic vendors (52%) and their peers (42%).
To request an in-depth research briefing on the full study, please fill out the form to the right.
JOIN CONVERSATIONS AS ITDMs PLAN THEIR STRATEGIES FOR THE YEAR AT AGENDA2020