State of the CIO 2017
CIO’s 16th annual “State of the CIO” survey was conducted with the objective of understanding how the CIO role continues to evolve in today’s business climate and to help define the CIO agenda for 2017. This definitive benchmarking survey measures the CIO role in the organization, budgetary responsibilities, business and leadership challenges, and the key skills needed for the job today.
Key findings include:
- As security has been realized as a key factor and, for the most part, integrated directly into IT strategy, CIOs are able to increasingly spend time on more strategic and innovative initiatives.
- With an increased focus on innovation, the struggle for IT talent (especially in the areas of data science/BI & analytics) has also increased.
- As tech budgets continue to rise, direct control of total tech dollars remains consistently with IT.
- CIOs continue to be involved in marketing technology purchases and marketing execs themselves view the purchase process as a collaboration with IT.
- There is mutual respect between heads of IT and LOB leaders, however, it is clear that CIOs must convey their contributions better, as LOB are not quite sure the exact role IT plays in new business initiatives.
For more information on this study, view the excerpt below or download the white paper – The Strategic CIO: Now Ready for Prime Time.
To request a meeting with an IDG Enterprise sales executive to walk through the full study, please complete the form below.